The Holy Bible
I am constantly amazed about how easily we model ourselves after others who have an influence over our lives. Now for those of you that disagree with me, let me be quick to say that I agree with you, that some are worse than others! So when I read this passage this morning, I was reminded that there is an ideal for us to follow, for in the last words of the 2nd verse, we told that we are to "love like that". So let's probe into the ideals by which we are to love, according to Your Word:
- Imitate God's love – watch what He did in the Bible and what He does in the lives of His children today, then love in that manner. As a reminder, we are to love in such a way that:
- We don't mind sacrificing our very best for the benefit of others;
- We are compassionate about others, for Jesus wept over a friend who had died; He healed the sick; fed the hungry and loved the lowliest of folk;
- Let love fill our lives – for 'mostly what God does is love'. Wouldn't it be awesome to be known as a person who 'loved' unconditionally?
- Love extravagantly, not cautiously – In being careful not to get hurt by someone, we may tend to be overly cautious about extending our love for them. This is not a godly example friend, for God loved us and sacrificed for us, even while we were yet sinners;
- Love unselfishly – never expect anything in return for the love that you show towards others. Jesus freely gave His life for us because of what the Father wanted, and because He first loved us, not because of anything that He could benefit from, in return for showing His love.
Ultimate love was shown for us at Calvary when You sacrificed Your one and only Son dear God. Thank You for that gift of salvation offered for us, and thank You for showing us the extreme that You were prepared to go to in order to show Your love for us. Today we want to be your example. We want to be Christ-like. We want to imitate You in our love for others. However, Lord I believe You are well aware of the challenge that we face in our desire to love like You did, for at times we ourselves are miserable and unlovable; at times we are selfish in the reasons that we love and often Satan is in the forefront of causing havoc between family and friends, instead of the harmony and love that You offer through us. Please forgive us for the times that we lose sight of our strength and guidance offered by You. Please touch Your children once again with the miracle of love, one for another, so that we may live in unity and look more like Your children than ever before. We need You, oh Lord, and we depend on You. For it is in the wonderful and blessed name of Jesus that I pray, AMEN!
FOOTNOTE: If you have been challenged to make a decision today after reading this devotional, please speak with a local Bible Teaching pastor, or contact me at NuggetsFromGodsWord@outlook.com so that we can pray with you and give you help and or encouragement as you begin, or continue your walk with Jesus. Any words underlined above will indicate a link to a song that came to mind as I wrote the devotional. Feel free to click on the link and listen as you continue to read or pray. If this devotional was forwarded to you and you would like to see more, please go to blogger.nuggetsfromgodsword.org and read more, or you may freely subscribe for a daily email conveniently containing each day's devotional. If you are anywhere near the Highlands County, Florida area and do not have a church home, I would be thrilled to welcome you at Bible Fellowship Church, Sebring, FL! Click the link to check out service times and/or other special activities. God is at work among us! Please consider coming to worship with us!